Students of all ages and abilities are welcome. All will be encouraged to fully develop their potential. Private students may choose the academic examination track, or a personal enjoyment program.
A piano at home (acoustic or good-quality digital), or a keyboard with at least four octaves, is required. Make sure your keyboard has full-sized keys. Toy keyboards are not acceptable. Digital keyboards should be touch-sensitive and velocity sensitive, to provide realistic response and feel. Acoustic pianos require regular tuning and maintenance.
Just like a sports program or a college course, piano lessons are a commitment to a series of lessons to develop skills and knowledge. Once you register, I am reserving a spot for your child for the school year. Payment must be received in advance for each month of lessons. Payment may be made by email money transfer, online invoice payment, cash, or personal cheque. Invoices and receipts will be provided. Monthly tuition payments cover the actual lesson time spent with the student, plus preparation time, recital costs, and group classes. No lessons will be held during spring break or Christmas break, or on statutory holidays. Group classes and events will be offered at other times during the term in place of holiday lessons.
Annual Registration Fee for Books and Materials
An annual registration fee will be charged, to cover the cost of books and materials. Students / parents are responsible for purchasing additional books and materials as required, if needed. For MYC classes, the registration fee is non-refundable if the shrink wrapping is removed from the books & materials.
No refund will be given for missed lessons unless the teacher is unable to attend. A lesson may be rescheduled, at the discretion of the teacher, if at least 48 hours notice is given of an absence.
Cancellation of Enrolment
If you are unable to continue with lessons, one month advance notice is required.
Expectations for Students
- Participate in lessons.
- Practice at home between lessons, as directed by the teacher.
- Participate in recitals and group activities as required. View the Studio Calendar.
- Have fun!
- Listen to music regularly.
Expectations for Parents
- Parents are welcome to attend private lessons, especially parents of preschoolers.
- Parent participation is required for MYC group lessons. Please arrange child care for siblings.
- Help younger children with practicing. This may require sitting with your child through each practice session. For older children, help them establish a regular practice schedule. Directions and guidance will be provided.